In an effort to provide the congregations of the New England Synod appropriate resources for learning and training pastors and lay leaders in the area of generosity and stewardship, we’ve developed the following options. We are hopeful that pastors and lay leaders across the synod will find an offering from our selection of generosity training that will be useful for their particular congregation in their own journey.
The Stewardship Group
Born out of the New England Synod’s previous efforts toward bolstering generosity, The Stewardship Group is a year-long training emphasis in developing generosity. Modeled on the Synod’s highly successful Forward Leadership Community, this is a program for pastors and lay leaders of congregations designed to help them be more effective stewards and generous leaders. It involves a series of four Saturday sessions.
You know about Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Perhaps you’ve heard of Giving Tuesday – the day created in response to these days focused on consumer spending in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Giving Tuesday is a global day dedicated to giving back, to celebrating generosity, to give – your time, your money, your voice – and then tell the world about it. We’re encouraging congregations to participate in Giving Tuesday as a way to celebrate the generosity we know exists across New England. Does your church feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless? What project could your congregation become involved in this fall? If you’ve been involved in the annual God’s Work. Our Hands workday, we’re looking at a similar model.
- Your congregation decides what project you want to work on or raise funds for and you let us know here at the synod.
- We’ll keep track of all these expressions of generosity across our synod.
- On Giving Tuesday, report your results – dollars raised for your project, Thanksgiving dinners boxed for the local food pantry, quilts made for Lutheran World Relief, animals purchased through the ELCA Good Gifts program, camperships sponsored for kids to go to camp, etc.
- We know there’s great generous giving going on across the synod, and we’d like to let folks know about it.
- Look for more information about this initiative coming soon.